BREAKING NEWS: Grunwald becomes first girl to win state wrestling title in Owatonna
Rian Grunwald has made her way into the record books for Owatonna High School as she becomes the first girl to win a state wrestling title. Grunwald won the state championship in the 114-pound category Saturday night at the Xcel Center in St. Paul.
Grunwald is one of three state championship winners from Steele County at this year’s state wrestling tournament. Others include: Charley Elwood of Medford at 138 pounds and Landon Johnson of Owatonna captured his second title at 160 pounds.
Makota Misgen of NRHEG just narrowly missed a state title at 285 pounds after losing in double overtime.
• Tate Hermes of Medford at 160 pounds
• Ralph Roesler of NRHEG at 195 pounds
• Makota Misgen of NRHEG at 285 pounds
Third place winners include:
• Isabella Townley of Owatonna at 107 pounds
• Annabelle Petsinger of NRHEG at 120 pounds
• Cael Robb of Owatonna at 132 pounds
Congratulations to all these area wrestlers for their outstanding performances at the state tournament and the entire season!
Check out this week's Steele County Times for complete state wrestling coverage.